Skip to main content

Editing My Music Video Together

 Throughout the editing process of the music video I have kept a log detailing the different editing techniques I have implemented throughout the music video. This log references what I have done and where, why I have used the specific editing technique, what issues I found whilst editing the footage together and finally how I believed I could have improved upon. 

Jump Cut

When the lyrics "when you've had a few" plays a jump cut is used in which bottles appear to help illustrate the lyrics for the audience whilst adding some comedic effect by amplifying the idea of drinking by exaggerating how much alcohol the character has drank. I believe the jump cut works well here and links to Vernallis' theory on music videos in which she suggests conventionally jump cuts are used in videos as a short way of transferring information to the audience in a fashion which is both engaging and clear. 




Cutting With The Lyrics

Throughout the video I have made sure the frames in the video sync up with the beat of the song to make it easier to pay attention to for an audience. Most of the shots are either 2, 4 or 6 seconds long as this allows me to sync them to the beat perfectly. Every 2 seconds in the song there is a clapping beat which goes off, I have tried to cut most of the shots to this clapping beat, at some points this wasn't possible however, I made the transitions seem as synchronised as possible. 

VHS

I am planning on using a VHS style edit on the video to reflect the way that media skews our ideals of females. In order to get the message across about the way women are treated due to the male gaze in movies I want to start the video off with a male sitting on a sofa flicking through movies on the TV in the dated VHS fashion which contain characters which step over boundaries or push the idea that women should be objectified for example, I may use "Fatal Attraction". As the character in my production is flicking through the misogynistic media products a close up of his eyes will be used, in the close up when he blinks, as his eyes open the world turns into a VHS movie, the man is suddenly filled with a desire to chase a girl who hasn't suggested she has any interest in the male. I believe that the use of the technique in the video helps reflect my message and as well as that is a creative technique which will keep the audience engaged throughout the video due to the range of colours it creates. 



Slow Motion

The use of slow motion here has been used to slow down a shot of a lady in a dream sequence, the slowed movements create a dreamlike effect on the lady making here look more elegant rather than having swift movements which can look unnatural. Vernallis suggests in here article that in music videos slow motion shots are used very often and can be used to sync the pace of a video to the pace o the song to keep everything in beat. 
 


Repetition

Vernallis suggests in her article that in music videos there are is a lot of repetition, as lyrics in some cases can become repetitive so can the frames in your video, she suggests that establishing shots as well as close ups are very commonly repeated throughout a video. I have done the same thing with both my chorus and pre-chorus which plays throughout the song 3 times. I believe that at some points the repetition of the shots has become very tiring though, some repetition is needed however, after repeating some footage 2-3 times it can become less engaging for an audience. I believe if I had time to shoot more footage I would change the footage for the second pre chorus and chorus in order to have a longer break before I re use the footage so that it becomes less repetitive and boring. 

Illustrating the Lyrics

Throughout the video I have tried to illustrate some of the lyrics for example for the lyrics "simmer down and pucker up" I have first used a close up shot of a kettle simmering and next and I have used a close up of a ladies lips, this allows me to illustrate the lyrics whilst giving some of the lyrics a comical light hearted theme rather than their literal meaning. I have made sure to illustrate lyrics where it is needed however, I have made sure to not oversaturate the video with illustrations of the lyrics as this can become quite annoying and boring when there isn't a selection of different techniques being used. 

Organisation of Footage and Labelling of Material

Throughout the entire project I have been able to keep all my footage together in one place stored on my pc in order to keep the project organised. As you can see any materials sourced online (such as music, images and movie clips) are stored separately to the footage so that I know exactly what is footage and what is online material. 
When editing I tried to keep all my footage in their own individual sections to make it easier to find the footage I need efficiently. In order to organise this projects I have created the following bins: Online Material Bin, Together Bin, Female Bin, Male Bin and Inanimate Object Bin. I chose these bin labels as I found these the easiest labels to split all my footage into if I was to create a longer project which had a lot of different sequence rather than having a sort of circular narrative which forces me tore use footage in different sequences I would have labelled the footage based upon the sequence it belongs to.







 

   

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scheduling

 Gannt Chart  I have created a Gannt chart in order to plan out my the production/planning/editing/evaluating of the production. I have made sure to space everything out and give myself realistic timescales to finish each and every task. The tasks have been split into different sections in order to keep it organised and to show a better visual representation of which tasks should be started first. The first section is planning, I have put this first as you must plan a video before you can produce it, the planning section contains all the tasks which I believe relate to planning for example, analysing music videos, researching music videos theories, analysing the song I want to produce and create all relevant documents such as storyboards. The next section is productions, the sections contains all actions I must take in relation to shooting the video for example, finding equipment, actors and props needed, shooting the video, watching footage back and shooting more footage if necessary.

Evaluation

 Planning I believe the planning aspect of my production is very strong, before producing anything I first researched and analysed 3 different music videos whilst linking them back to both the theorist Andrew Goodwin and Carol Vernallis. I analysed all music videos to the best of my abilities by analysing the meaning behind the lyrics, how they link the lyrics to the video, how they have used editing in the videos, how they linked to their genres and how the video represents the artists brand image. As well as this to make the planning aspect of my video meticulous I have analyses the lyrics of my own song and wrote next to it what shots I could use in each situation to either illustrate, amplify or juxtapose the lyrics of the song. I have also analysed the codes and conventions of music videos within the indie/rock genre in order to find out what mise-en-scene of indie/rock videos is as well as shot types most commonly used. Once I had analysed all media texts thoroughly, I created a