Skip to main content

Questionnaire for Music Video

Why am I making a Questionnaire?

I am creating a questionnaire to gather data on my target audience in order to determine what sort of music video I should create for my chosen song. The goal of the questionnaire is to find out what the bands audiences' demographics and psychographics consist of. By finding out who our target audience is, we can try to tailor a production towards them. The questionnaire will also find out what style of video the audience prefer (narrative, stadium performance, studio performance, location, conceptual/experimental).

 Sample / Distribution Method

I have chose to distribute my questionnaire using the social media sites, Facebook and Instagram, I will be sharing my questionnaire with fan pages for the arctic monkeys in order to gather a sample of people who are interested with the music to try and find out what they would be looking for in a music video. Using the questionnaire I can find out more about the demographics and psychographics of my audience base in order to try create a production which engages them. 

Questions and Reasonings

1. What Age Group are you in?
  • 15 and Below
  • 16-18
  • 19-21
  • 22-30
  • 30 and Above
I have asked this first question in order to get an idea of the age range that primarily listens to the bands music originally. I believe knowing who my target audience is comprised of will help me tailor a video to their preferences. Although with the production we are trying to build a bigger audience base, it is good practise to make sure we are keeping the audience base we have engaged with the content. 

2. What is your Gender?
  • Female
  • Male
  • Other
I will be asking the participants about their gender in order to further understand who my target audience is so that I can produce a video which they will enjoy.

3. What was your favourite Arctic Monkeys Music Video?
  • Please write answer here
I have asked this question to get an idea of which video is most popular with the existing fans in order to try produce a video with a similar theme/style. Knowing what video is most popular will help as I can study the video and analyse it in order to gain some inspiration for "Do I Wanna Know". 

4. What Type of Music Video do you Like Best?
  • Narrative (Video with a storyline)
  • Conceptual/Experimental
  • Performance (Studio/Stadium)
I have asked this question in order to find out what style of video the audience would prefer. I have outlined in my pitch that I think a narrative structure would work well for the song "Do I Wanna Know?" however, based on the outcome of the questionnaire this can be altered to suit the audience better. 

Results

A total of 40 people were able to answer my questionnaire. This is a good sample of people meaning that my results should be a true reflections of how the majority of my target audience feel. Once I have analysed my findings from the questionnaire, I will be able to suggest whether I believe the outcome is accurate or whether I believe further research should be conducted to back up the primary research I have done.

Question 1 - What Age Group are you in?
  • 15 and Below (5 participants)
  • 16-18 (12 participants)
  • 19-21 (12 participants)
  • 22-30 (8 participants)
  • 30 and Above (3 participants)
From this question I have found that the majority of my audience base is comprised of 16-18 year olds and 19-21 year olds. I believe that the band doesn't appeal as much to an audience of 15 year olds and below, this could be because the artists are before their time therefore they haven't been exposed to their music, as well as this the band deals with a lot of sexual themes and is classed as explicit because of the lyrics therefore, our audience is comprised of older generations. The minority group was of 30 year olds and above, this could be because the music is after their time, as well as this many people over the age of 30 have started families suggesting that they may listen to more family friendly music. Based on the data gathered I can make the assumption that the primary audience we will be targeting is comprised of 16-21 year olds with a secondary audience of 22-30 year olds. Based on my findings I believe I should try create a video which will engage older teens and people nearing adulthood. 



Questions 2 - What is your Gender?
  • Male (13 participants)
  • Female (25 participants)
  • Other (2 participants)
From this question I have found that the majority of my audience is comprised of female participants, the smallest audience described their gender as "other". From the study I found that the younger participants generally were female whereas the older audience consists of both male and female fans. I believe this to be because when the band first started in 2002 they branded themselves as a band for the working class in the UK, in this time working class males connected with the band as they understood them, as the bands popularity grew in 2011 after the band performed a few songs in the British movie "Submarine", the production company re-branded the lead singer, Alex Turner as a teen heartthrob making the band more popular with younger females. This suggests to me that in order to create a successful music video we must meet the expectations of the younger female audience whilst still keeping the "grunge", down to earth sort of atmosphere to the video for the older "working class" fans.



Question 3 - What was your Favourite Arctic Monkeys Video? 
Answer Received:
  • R U Mine? (10 participants)
  • Fluorescent Adolescence (7 participants) 
  • Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High (8 participants) 
  • Four out of Five (3 participants) 
  • Snap Out Of It (5  participants) 
  • Arabella (4  participants) 
  • One For The Road (2 participants) 
  • Black Treacle (1  participants) 
From this question I have found that the most liked videos from Arctic Monkeys include "R U Mine?", "Fluorescent Adolescence" and "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High". These songs are almost the oldest videos the band has released, this suggests to me that the majority of the audience prefer the videos which were focused around a "working class" males narrative, they speak about everyday issues like going to the pub, picking up girls and the consequences of living a regular lives. The newer videos adopted an American iconography and changed their vocal style to reinvent themselves as "Rock Gods".  It seems as though many fans still appreciate the older style which was very indie-rock and very grunge therefore I will adopt this style within the video in order to meet fans expectations of the band in its prime. 



Question 4 - What Type of Music Video do you Like Best?
  • Narrative (26 participants)
  • Conceptual/Experimental (11 participants)
  • Performance (3 participants)
From this I can safely assume that it is best that I stick with my plan to film a narrative video. This was further proved by the previous question in which the most popular videos where all narrative videos. I have found that the least popular form of video is performance videos, I believe this to be because they can be quite boring just watching the band perform, the use of a narrative video offers more opportunity to give the lyrics visuals which is more likely to engage an audience for a longer period of time.


Evaluation

I believe the questionnaire was a very successful research method which has provided me with sufficient data on how to best produce a video in order to entertain my target audience. Based on the results of the questionnaire I have found that my primary audience consists of mainly 16-21 year old females and a secondary audience of 22-30 year old males. I believe that is important to stay true to the bands identity by keeping in theme with the grunge, retro look, this will both engage the original older audience as well as entertaining younger females who enjoy the "indie" nature of the band. I have found that it is important to use a narrative structure as this was found to be the most favourable type of video by the majority of fans. I will incorporate some experimental approaches such as using a VHS style overlay on the footage, this will give the footage a "retro" feel which is desired by both the primary and secondary target audiences. The idea of being rebellious seems to be fairly popular with fans of all ages therefore, the use of black leather jackets, black jeans and Italian style slick back hair should help make the theme noticeable. I feel as though one way I could have improved the questionnaire is by asking a couple extra questions such as "what sort of themes would you like to see addressed in a music video?", I chose not to ask too many questions as I believe less people would be happy to submit a response if they felt the questionnaire is too long and boring. Another thing I did to help me analyse the data easier was putting all the data into a pie chart, this is a great visual representation of the data which makes in much easier to analyse in order to find what the best approach is to making a production. Overall, I feel as thought the questionnaire was successful, the data that I have gathered helped me figure out who I am trying to target with the video and it gave me an idea of what sort of video that audience would like to see. I believe it was a very great idea to distribute my questionnaire to specific fan pages for the Arctic Monkeys as they understood what the topic was and had an interest in it therefore were able to answer my questions truthfully. Considering there are very few anomalies in the results, this suggests that all the answers were truthful meaning that the validity of the questionnaire is great. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scheduling

 Gannt Chart  I have created a Gannt chart in order to plan out my the production/planning/editing/evaluating of the production. I have made sure to space everything out and give myself realistic timescales to finish each and every task. The tasks have been split into different sections in order to keep it organised and to show a better visual representation of which tasks should be started first. The first section is planning, I have put this first as you must plan a video before you can produce it, the planning section contains all the tasks which I believe relate to planning for example, analysing music videos, researching music videos theories, analysing the song I want to produce and create all relevant documents such as storyboards. The next section is productions, the sections contains all actions I must take in relation to shooting the video for example, finding equipment, actors and props needed, shooting the video, watching footage back and shooting more footage if necessary.

Editing My Music Video Together

 Throughout the editing process of the music video I have kept a log detailing the different editing techniques I have implemented throughout the music video. This log references what I have done and where, why I have used the specific editing technique, what issues I found whilst editing the footage together and finally how I believed I could have improved upon.  Jump Cut When the lyrics "when you've had a few" plays a jump cut is used in which bottles appear to help illustrate the lyrics for the audience whilst adding some comedic effect by amplifying the idea of drinking by exaggerating how much alcohol the character has drank. I believe the jump cut works well here and links to Vernallis' theory on music videos in which she suggests conventionally jump cuts are used in videos as a short way of transferring information to the audience in a fashion which is both engaging and clear.  Cutting With The Lyrics Throughout the video I have made sure the frames in the vide

Evidence for Editing Unit

 Logging Footage Efficiently  Evidence from Film Production Unit Evidence from Contextual Studies Unit Evidence from Music Video Unit Labelling Clips, Bin, Footage and Audio Material  Evidence of Labelling in Music Video Unit Evidence of Labelling in Contextual Studies Unit Evidence of Edited Productions Music Video Production Film Studies Production Contextual Studies 4 Hour Film Challenge 4 Hour Film Challenge Examples of Cinematic Techniques There are other examples of evidence of myself using editing within my videos however, I believe these are the main examples the rest are just used to demonstrate practical skills (Camera settings, lighting setups, different lens effects etc.)   Justifying Editing Choices and Critiquing Editing and Evaluating Evidence from Music Video Unit Evidence from 4 Hour Film Challenge - Obsession Evidence from Contextual Studies