Skip to main content

4 Hour Film Challenge - Freud

What is the Task?

The task at hand is to create a film in four hours which links to Sigmund Freud's theory on the Id, Ego and Superego. The film should show the difference in the three different forms of consciousness through the use of one character to show that all three are present in each person.

What I Want to Produce?

As I will be shooting at college I am going to show a reflection of the Id, Ego and Superego in a college student. I will try make it as relatable to college life as possible however, the video will very short therefore, I will only have a short timeframe to convey the idea that it is set at college. The use of props and outfit will be used to suggests that it is a student for example, the student will be wearing a college ID lanyard around their neck. Many teenagers at college are smokers therefore, the student may mention smoking in some form to link to being an average rebellious teen, the idea of an average teen links to the ego, the have some form of morality however, they give into basic desires such as smoking. The version of the superego will be very anxious because they are so worried about how they are viewed by society, this idea will be conveyed through the use of stuttered speech, the person must seem very closed off and isolated therefore, the student will have their hands in they pockets and a hood or a hat on to show they are closed off. The version of the Id must seem unhinged, ruled by desire therefore the student must be quite loud and obnoxious in order to forward the idea that the student has no regard for other people, all they care about is themselves. 

What Equipment Will I Need?

I will be using my Canon EOS 750D to shoot the footage as this offers the ability to alter all my technical settings quite a bit and it is fairly lightweight therefore it is easy to carry around whilst shooting. As I will be shooting at 25 frames per second to create a "cinematic look" I will be shooting mainly with a shutter speed of 50/1, this will mean that hand head shots will look very unstable, I will be using a tripod to make sure that all my shots flow well without any camera shake. Where is needed I can use a warp stabiliser in post production however, I will be mainly relying on the tripod to create the best footage. I will be using lighting equipment such as LEDs to light the shoot as they are easy and lightweight therefore they are easiest to shoot with. I will be using an 18-55mm lens as this offers the ability to zoom in and out, this will create the most natural looking image.

My Production


 Evaluation

Overall, I believe that my planning went well, I made sure that my video followed the plan set out this is good as it shows I was able to make a detailed plan which helped me efficiently make a film without running into any issues. Furthermore, I believe the lighting used within the shot is good, the shots are correctly exposed and I used the correct technical settings whilst shooting to try acquire the best footage. I believe in order to make the difference in subconscious levels of the mind more clear I could have altered my lighting in different scenes for example, when the id enters as they reflect a part of us which is primitive and solely worried about our survival I should have used low key lighting, this would have created and eerie atmosphere linking to the "unhinged" nature of the id. The use of natural lighting would be used in the scenes with the ego, the shots would be correctly exposed as they are at the moment to create an image of normality, the ego is what we see as normal as it lives in the conscious part of the brain. In order to reflect the superego I could have used over-exposed, almost white shots in order to portray the character as almost holy, the superego reflects the law abiding part of our consciousness which is developed by the influence of authority figures therefore an angelic look could make the message more clear. I believe the characters positioning throughout the shots reflect the natural of each character for example the superego is represented as quite timid and nervous as they are always so focused on societies opinion therefore, they constantly look closed off, the hands a in the pockets, and they are all scrunched up reflecting their anxiety. The Id is meant to be very reckless and carefree, in order to convey this message the character is very loud and they throw things around the room to reflect their disregard for other people. I believe that if I had used varied angles and shots it could be more clean which character is which for example, the use of low angles makes characters look quite powerful therefore, it could make the Id look more unhinged and crazy; the use of a high angled shot can make characters look quite small and weak therefore when use in scenes with the superego it would highlight that the character is very socially anxious. The use of dialogue in the video although very short has a successful affect for example, the superego stutters a lot and has to ask for constant reassurance from other people, this is a very good light-hearted, representation of the superego which is clear for any audience. The id uses swear words in their dialogue, the use of strong language can be seen as very childish therefore an audience would link this to the id as it is most prominent in young children that only know their survival instincts. The ego is an combination of both the id and the ego, they show some resemblance to the id as they leave very abruptly after not getting what they want however, they are somewhat well mannered when talking to other students reflecting the nature of the superego. I believe the use of text could help provide some context, if I was to add text in post production telling the audience which character is which it could help with making my message clearer. Overall, I believe this video successfully reflects the nature of the id, ego and superego. I believe that planning out the video in advance and choosing all my equipment with thought of what I wanted to produce in mind helped me create a well thought out video in 4 hours. I believe that the adjustments mentioned above could have helped make it clearer to an audience which character was which and will pay closer attention to this in my next production.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scheduling

 Gannt Chart  I have created a Gannt chart in order to plan out my the production/planning/editing/evaluating of the production. I have made sure to space everything out and give myself realistic timescales to finish each and every task. The tasks have been split into different sections in order to keep it organised and to show a better visual representation of which tasks should be started first. The first section is planning, I have put this first as you must plan a video before you can produce it, the planning section contains all the tasks which I believe relate to planning for example, analysing music videos, researching music videos theories, analysing the song I want to produce and create all relevant documents such as storyboards. The next section is productions, the sections contains all actions I must take in relation to shooting the video for example, finding equipment, actors and props needed, shooting the video, watching footage back and shooting more footage if necessary.

Evidence for Editing Unit

 Logging Footage Efficiently  Evidence from Film Production Unit Evidence from Contextual Studies Unit Evidence from Music Video Unit Labelling Clips, Bin, Footage and Audio Material  Evidence of Labelling in Music Video Unit Evidence of Labelling in Contextual Studies Unit Evidence of Edited Productions Music Video Production Film Studies Production Contextual Studies 4 Hour Film Challenge 4 Hour Film Challenge Examples of Cinematic Techniques There are other examples of evidence of myself using editing within my videos however, I believe these are the main examples the rest are just used to demonstrate practical skills (Camera settings, lighting setups, different lens effects etc.)   Justifying Editing Choices and Critiquing Editing and Evaluating Evidence from Music Video Unit Evidence from 4 Hour Film Challenge - Obsession Evidence from Contextual Studies

Editing My Music Video Together

 Throughout the editing process of the music video I have kept a log detailing the different editing techniques I have implemented throughout the music video. This log references what I have done and where, why I have used the specific editing technique, what issues I found whilst editing the footage together and finally how I believed I could have improved upon.  Jump Cut When the lyrics "when you've had a few" plays a jump cut is used in which bottles appear to help illustrate the lyrics for the audience whilst adding some comedic effect by amplifying the idea of drinking by exaggerating how much alcohol the character has drank. I believe the jump cut works well here and links to Vernallis' theory on music videos in which she suggests conventionally jump cuts are used in videos as a short way of transferring information to the audience in a fashion which is both engaging and clear.  Cutting With The Lyrics Throughout the video I have made sure the frames in the vide