Skip to main content

Shutter Speed

What Is Shutter Speed?

The shutter speed on a camera is the length of time the shutter is open whilst shooting. The longer the shutter is open the more light the camera lets in (Moura). If you use a shutter speed lower than 1/60 it is best to use a tripod or some sort of stabiliser as when the shutter is open for a longer period of time more motion blur is capture in the shot. In film the shutter speed should be set at double the frame rate. The frame rate is the number of frames taken in each second. Usually in film the frame rate is set at around 25 frames per second therefore the shutter speed should be set at 1/50 of a second (35mmc). The shutter speed is set at double the frame rate as it helps capture natural movement better. If the shutter speed is too low you will get blurred movement, if you was to record with a high shutter speed everyone within your scene will look like robots, the motion will be very choppy therefore making it look like a stop motion (Devo).

As you can see in these images I have shot an example of a slow shutter speed, a medium shutter speed and a fast shutter speed in order to show the motion blur captured. In the first image I shot with a shutter speed below 1/60 therefore, you can see a lot of motion blur, you may also notice that the shot is brighter as the shutter has been left open for longer. In the second image I have shot with a medium shutter speed of 1/125, there is less motion blur however you still cannot make out the moving object well. The image is slightly darker as the shutter has been letting light in for a shorter period of time. In the last shot I have used a shutter speed above 1/300 therefore the bottles seem still in the image. The photo is darker, when shooting I had to adjust my aperture and ISO accordingly to correctly expose the image. 

My Examples of Shutter Speed

I have chosen to shoot footage of cars driving in front of the college, I chose to use cars as they move fairly quickly therefore, it is easy to capture motion blur in the shots. As you ca see, when the aperture is at 1/30, the cars look blurred when they pass compared to the use of a shutter speed of 1/320 where the movement is very steady, when the cars move past we can see them perfectly. 

References

Moura, G., Shutter Speed (Online)
Available at : http://www.elementsofcinema.com/cinematography/shutter-speed.html#:~:text=1%2F50%20(0.02%20second),%2F60%20(0.167%20second).
35mmc, 2019. Understanding Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO & The Relationship Between Them (Online)
Available at : https://www.35mmc.com/25/02/2019/understanding-shutter-speed-aperture-film-speed-iso-the-relationship-between-them/ 
Devo, J., 2017. How Shutter Speed Works When Shooting Video (Online)
Available at : http://www.thevideomode.com/tuition/how-shutter-speeds-work-when-shooting-video-263/











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scheduling

 Gannt Chart  I have created a Gannt chart in order to plan out my the production/planning/editing/evaluating of the production. I have made sure to space everything out and give myself realistic timescales to finish each and every task. The tasks have been split into different sections in order to keep it organised and to show a better visual representation of which tasks should be started first. The first section is planning, I have put this first as you must plan a video before you can produce it, the planning section contains all the tasks which I believe relate to planning for example, analysing music videos, researching music videos theories, analysing the song I want to produce and create all relevant documents such as storyboards. The next section is productions, the sections contains all actions I must take in relation to shooting the video for example, finding equipment, actors and props needed, shooting the video, watching footage back and shooting more footage if necessary.

Evidence for Editing Unit

 Logging Footage Efficiently  Evidence from Film Production Unit Evidence from Contextual Studies Unit Evidence from Music Video Unit Labelling Clips, Bin, Footage and Audio Material  Evidence of Labelling in Music Video Unit Evidence of Labelling in Contextual Studies Unit Evidence of Edited Productions Music Video Production Film Studies Production Contextual Studies 4 Hour Film Challenge 4 Hour Film Challenge Examples of Cinematic Techniques There are other examples of evidence of myself using editing within my videos however, I believe these are the main examples the rest are just used to demonstrate practical skills (Camera settings, lighting setups, different lens effects etc.)   Justifying Editing Choices and Critiquing Editing and Evaluating Evidence from Music Video Unit Evidence from 4 Hour Film Challenge - Obsession Evidence from Contextual Studies

Editing My Music Video Together

 Throughout the editing process of the music video I have kept a log detailing the different editing techniques I have implemented throughout the music video. This log references what I have done and where, why I have used the specific editing technique, what issues I found whilst editing the footage together and finally how I believed I could have improved upon.  Jump Cut When the lyrics "when you've had a few" plays a jump cut is used in which bottles appear to help illustrate the lyrics for the audience whilst adding some comedic effect by amplifying the idea of drinking by exaggerating how much alcohol the character has drank. I believe the jump cut works well here and links to Vernallis' theory on music videos in which she suggests conventionally jump cuts are used in videos as a short way of transferring information to the audience in a fashion which is both engaging and clear.  Cutting With The Lyrics Throughout the video I have made sure the frames in the vide